Background Template

Friday, March 2, 2012

I am here...to get out of here...

March 1, 2012

Here to get out of here

I have an Uncle Paulhe became my uncle in a very peculiar way, and I am not going to go into that story.  However, I think my Grandma summed it up years ago when she said something like, He is our kin folk. We will just claim him!  And so it was!

Several years ago, he and my Aunt Debbie (Uncle Paul’s wife, and the main reason he became my uncle) moved to Temple; and Cody and I were blessed with the opportunity to really claim him as our Uncle!  Over the years he and my Aunt Debbie have been some of our dearest friends, and closest family. They did not live here long, maybe 3 years, before they moved back to Lubbock for a couple of years.  But then about 3 years ago, they moved to Rockwall.  My cousin, (their son) Brent and his family live in Rockwall, so it was a great move for them!  We loved it because they are a little closer to us; and a bonus is that I get to see my cousin, Brent, a little more as well!!

Over the years we have spent some great time with Debbie and Paul.  We have helped each other move; we have shared pets ( by sharing I really mean that we actually we gave them our cat, and we gave them a dog we dont want them back); we have spent countless hours on each others patios talking and laughing; we have catered (quiet professionally, I might add) several weddings, including their son, Justins and our daughter, Lynnsays; and we have enjoyed many good meals together! Debbie and I have started and completed more DIY home improvement projects than I can count.  Debbie gave me a love for gardening, and helped me get the hang of it (FYI: Watering is key. Who knew?)  Paul has coined phrases like, “Nice buns” always referring to the bread being served at dinner; and “smoke a beer” referring to time on the patio with a cigarette and an ice cold beer…He can talk just like “Shrek” and does a great impression of a Jewish New Yorker. He introduced Jimmy Buffet to our family and now we all love “Margaritaville”! And Brian Regan. Paul also introduced our family to him, a clean cut comedian whose act David can recite on demand! Oh~ and I can’t leave out Karaoke time… we have all sang until the wee hours of the morning.  They are no longer just our “kin folk”~ They are our friends.

Sometime in September, Paul and Debbie were taking vacation because Paul’s cousin, Dick, and his wife, Sharon, were coming for a visit from Kentucky.  I had spoken with Debbie on several occasions and I knew they were really looking forward to the visit! Debbie called me on Sunday, I assumed to tell me about their trip, however, the voice on the other end was not filled with happiness, it was filled with fear and it delivered shocking news.  Paul had spent their entire vacation time in the hospital. And at the end of the story she was reciting to me she said, “They diagnosed with him with lymphoma.  We will have to wait until next week to find out the details on what type of lymphoma we are dealing with.  Marleea, Paul has cancer.” Her voice broke, and I felt the air knocked out of my lungs as I began to wrap my mind around this news.  I told her that we would pray, starting now!

For me, it is a pretty helpless feeling when all I have to offer is prayer.  I want to DO something.  I want to FIX EVERYTHING.  But at times like this, prayer is all I have available in my “bag of tricks”.  Immediately I got on the phone and called my parents and told them to pray; and I asked them to call the rest of our family and ask them to pray…

Debbie called me the next week to tell me what the diagnosis was, and she said that it was not as good as they had hoped for… it was rare, and while it is treatable, it is not curable.  Paul asked what would happen if he just chose to not have any treatment…and the doctor’s prognosis was not very desirable.  He was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Mantle Cell Blastic Lymphoma…

The treatment?  Let’s just say it is harsh, quick and aggressive…the treatment matched the cancer.  Paul’s attitude?  Positive, strong and full of faith…his attitude matched the cancer…what could the rest of us do?  Pray…that’s all…

Paul’s treatment would end with a bone marrow transplant…his brothers were all ready to volunteer.  One of them, Andy, was a perfect match (an answer to prayers…)

Paul went into war mode against the cancer.  Weeks in the hospital taking chemo… side effects? Minimal to none…Doctors could never believe it…(an answer to prayers…)

Paul ‘s attitude has remained strong and positive.  He shaved his head and looks  adorable.  He always tells everyone that he is doing gooood...and he is… “I am telling you right now, I don’t have anything to complain about.”(an answer to prayers…)

On Tuesday, Cody and I, along with Lynnsay loaded up and headed to Dallas.  Paul’s treatment was now down to his bone marrow transplant…

Two weeks ago, his brother Andy was here and donated his bone marrow to save his brother’s life.  According to Aunt Debbie, this donation was hard on Andy, but he gladly suffered and donated … (an answer to prayers)

Paul entered the hospital last Friday… he has had massive Chemo treatments and massive radiation treatments…side effects? None.  (Answer to prayers) We saw him yesterday between his last two radiation treatments…he is a living answer to prayers.  He was going to receive his transplant which would begin sometime after 4 p.m. and could last up until 10 or 11 p.m. He was done before 6:30 p.m. (an answer to prayers).

Paul is fighting for his life.  He is sticking it out and fighting a good fight…I am helpless in this fight for him…

All I have had to offer is my prayers first and my support second…

This morning we went to visit Paul (who had a bone marrow transplant yesterday and toasted his own bagel this morning…)Again, he was amazing… an answer to prayer… Bone marrow transplant yesterday… toasting his own bagels this morning…he even got to come out into the waiting room (with a mask) to hug us all and tell us goodbye…In a very “Paul” manner he said, “ I am here…to get out of here….”

Pretty deep words from a man who is in the last battle for his life.  He is there…on the 11th floor of Dallas Medical City…the floor where bone marrow and stem cell transplants take place…he is there to get out and live his life, cancer free. 

When Paul was diagnosed with cancer, we were all helpless… all we had to offer was our prayers…I now ask that you join me in praying for Paul… and in thanking God for what He has done for Paul…it is very easy to do, and the best thing you could do. Happy “Birthday” Paul!! I am not helpless in this fight with you- I have the strongest thing to offer… I have prayer…








No comments:

Post a Comment