Background Template

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Faith.Hope.Love


April 17,2012

Love does not keep a list of wrongs…it is never jealous…it is kind..Love is patient..it is not rude…it does not brag…love does  not get upset with others…it does not count up wrongs…it does not rejoice in evil…Love patiently accepts all things.  Love always trusts…love always hopes… and always remains strong…(From 1 Corinthians 13)

Wow! I think I should read these words everyday…because my life certainly does not always reflect that type of love.  I have a friend who has gotten so tired of seeing all of the “Faith-Hope-Love” signs everywhere that she has come up with her own line of “Well Crap” signs… Of course, she has only created the sayings with friends, and never really tried to market the idea…but it is funny and fitting.
I look around and see a world that has taken the concepts written centuries ago in the scriptures by Paul and a fortune has been made on these three words … who, of you, has not seen at least a dozen different “Faith-Hope-Love” signs? And yet each of these three words have become so watered down in our society, that I think we have lost the meaning of each of them individually; and of the power they have together. And I speak from my own experience.

Depending on the mood I am in- I may see the signs and think, “I would love to buy that and put it…” and am immediately re-decorating some room in my house, or my porch, or my fence…Other days I may see one and think of my friend’s idea…and instead of redecorating and re-arranging my home in my mind, I begin making a list of “Well Crap” sayings that would be better suited for display in my house or office. (Frankly speaking, I think that would be what Paul calls “keeping a list of wrongs.” OUCH!)
Paul ends the 13th chapter of Corinthians with, “So these three things continue forever: faith, hope and love.  And the greatest of these is love.”
Hmmm…well I think I started this entry with Paul’s description of love, and I don’t see where either one of my responses to seeing the words, “Faith-Hope-Love” are a true reflection of what the words should mean in my life…How lucky are we to live in a society where we are surrounded by a reminder of the three things that scripture tells us will remain?! My prayer is that my initial response when I see those words from now on will be to reflect on 1 Corinthians 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment