Background Template

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Motherhood- The Best Job Ever


Mother’s Day- I realize the whole day is really just a marketing scheme, honestly probably supported by the flower/greeting card folks…but seriously- we have all been touched by at least one mom!  Our experiences with the women who fall into the group of “Mothers” can be as diverse as the women themselves. So, regardless of where you are in life or of whom you are- I know that Mother’s Day has some sort of effect on you. This day may be full of happiness and joy, sorrow and pain or simply just a bittersweet day as you reflect on memories, enjoy time with those you love, or just take a break from it all. 
I, personally, have been blessed to be surrounded by the best mother’s I know… my grandmothers, my aunts, my sister, my sister-in-laws, my nieces, my cousins, my friends…they have all touched my life as I have watched them care for their families and for me.
My own mother is an amazing woman.  As I write this, she is preparing to teach a Sunday School class at her church.  This is a job that she does not take lightly and I know that.  I have woken up in prayer for her today, as I know that she is probably nervous and begging the Holy Spirit to speak through her.  My mom has the heart of a servant and the strength of a soldier.  She is wise and compassionate.  She has always modeled a Godly wife, mother and grandmother for me, my brother, my sister and our spouses… our kids and now my grandchildren. I can laugh with her until we cry.  I can talk to her about any mistake I have made, and she will love me through it. I can vent out my own problems to her and she will give me good, solid advice. When I think about being a mother, I think about wanting to be like her. And now, as I watch my own children parent their babies, I want to be the type of grandmother that she has always been…I love you Mom!  You are a beautiful woman and an incredible gift to our family.
My mother-in-law is also an amazing woman.  She raised the most incredible boy to become the man that I have loved for 28 years. She seeks God and is a woman who models praying without ceasing.  As my own boys have become men, I have grown to love and respect her even more.  I have always known that she was a wonderful mother and mother-in-law- but now that I am dealing with significant others in my own son’s lives- I can see just how much she has always loved me unconditionally.  She listens to me when I cry and complain.  She sympathizes with me and shares in my pain.  She laughs with me over the smallest things. The love we have for her son has never been a threat to either of us…that love has always been a bond that has molded my heart to hers. And she too, has shown me by her actions how to be an incredible grandmother.  I love you Jean!  You are so special to all of us, and the best mother-in-law ever!
I also have the privilege of watching the mothers of my grandbabies…
Katherine, my daughter-in-love, and the mother of the most incredible little girl, Aubrey Blayce Crittenden, she came into my life and into my heart and has never ceased to amaze me.  She loves Aubrey without question and without ceasing.  She always puts Aubrey first.  Katherine has overcome many trials on her journey as a Mother- and she has overcome them with grace that can only come from the Lord. She works hard and has to be the most positive person I have ever been blessed to know. She is beautiful, inside and out.  I love you Katherine.  I am thankful God blessed our lives with you and with the wonderful life of our Noodle.
Lynnsay, my daughter and the mother of the most adorable baby boy, Hudson Brent Macey, she, like her brothers, are my heart and my joy.  Watching her carry the load of bearing Hudson has been a treat.  She has been the most incredible and beautiful pregnant woman I have ever seen.  Watching her grow into the role of “Mother” has been an indescribable blessing.  She fought to give birth to that 8 lb. 7oz. boy and over the last week she has learned to trust her instincts and fallen into the role of motherhood with style, grace and wisdom.  She and HB were at church with him when he was less than 72 hours old. I am so proud of her and of HB.  Lynnsay, I love you!  Happy FIRST Mother’s Day- you really are, as Katie said, a rock star! Thanks for working so hard to give us our Pistol!
Many years ago, I wrote the following in a scrap book:
A Wife and Mother
A wife and a mother- that is all I have ever really wanted to be
I became a wife on November 9th, 1984, when Cody Crittenden stood with me before God and our family so that we could commit our lives to each other. 
I was still two months away from my 20th birthday, and Cody was eleven days shy of being 23.  We have grown up together.  Cody became a wonderful husband and I began to learn what being a wife really means.
I know God sent Cody to me.  I have had the joy of watching my husband give his life to Christ, and grow in a daily walk with the Lord.
I became a Mother for the first time on July 8, 1987 when Dr. Macey handed me the most beautiful baby boy I had ever seen Jacob Matt Crittenden.  I loved him more than I ever thought possible.  Over the next few months I watched my wonderful husband become a great Daddy, and I began to learn what being a wife and mother really means!
I became a mother again on Jan. 31, 1989, when Dr. Baylor handed me the tiniest, most beautiful baby girl I had ever seen Lynnsay Raegan Crittenden.  Cody and I went home with an 18 month old, and a newborn and two fish- I began to learn what being a wife and a mother really means.
On December 16, 1991, I suffered a miscarriage.  The loss was heavy in my heart and left me with a longing to hold a child I never will be able to this side of heaven.  The pain taught me a new lesson about what being a Mother really means.
On December 18, 1992, I became a Mother for the third time when Dr. Hagen handed me the smallest, most beautiful baby boyDavid Glenn Crittenden.  Cody and I celebrated the birth of our Savior by praising Him for the safe arrival of our third child.
Three children and a wonderful husband! I am blessed by God! The four of them fill my life with joy, pride and tears.  I receive so much from each of them. I hurt when they hurt, laugh when they laugh and pray that God will protect them.  They are teaching me everyday what being a wife and mother really means!
            A wife and mother- that’s all I ever wanted to be!
                                                Marleea Crittenden 1994
Well, now, 18 years later, I am still learning what being a wife and a mother really means… and I have had the best moms in the world to show me the way…and now, I realize that being a wife, mother and grandmother…that is all I ever wanted to be!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an amazing tribute to the joys of motherhood. Happy mothers day! I have always admired you as a mother and a woman of God.
    I love you, thank you for your beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete